Thursday 5 January 2012

How Fun Are These !?!

I came across the coolest designer yesterday!!!.  No seriously, THE coolest. Like beyond belief.
Kobi Levi, makes wearable art in the form of shoes. Graduated from Bezalel academy of art & design, Jerusalem 2001, he specializes in footwear design and development. His shoes are real surrealist pieces, appearing to take the shape/forms of other objects,animals, etc.For me, they are a delight to see, I was literally squealing when I came across them. I can't wait to get my hands on a pair, I swear I live for these kinds of things. I think I may have mentioned this before, but I so enjoy when fashion doesn't take itself seriously- or better tries to be funny and succeeds. Its adorable when the designer embeds a story in the apparel/accessories- and then when you wear it , you become a part of the narrative too. What fun na?

You have to see them to believe them- they're too cool. I hope I can get my hands on a pair abhi, as opposed to when this guy joins the ranks of Mr.Manolo Blahnik and Mr, Christian Louboutin, and he becomes a world-wide obsession, which is great for him but not so good for me.








Blown away right?? Isn't this guy OhMyJesusAmazing? Haina?Are you also thinking, omg what am I doing in life- why can't I do something brilliant like that? If you are that's okay, I went through the same thing. It's normal- his brilliance is awe-inspiring, slight/good-natured/well meaning envy inducing. I came across Levi's artist statement , and its really interesting. It quite commendable that he achieves to successfully form a marriage between design and concept so well because its something that is often not easy to do, and requires a lot of technical expertise, not to mention dedication. I can already imagine he was probably one of those types in college studio classes that all the professors would be in awe of, and they managed to talk the talk, as well as walk the walk.  Really annoying to be classmates with, horrible to share your crit with , they acts as unintentional slaps on your artistic self-esteem,but wow- amazing to look up to. He'd probably one of those student's whose dedication to his work would be a constant source of envy and admiration.Probably the helpful kind too.
(Yes, I've just done the designer's character study based on his creations- I'm losing it)

" In my artistic footwear design the shoe is my canvas. The trigger to create a new piece comes when an idea, a concept and/or an image comes to mind. The combination of the image and footwear creates a new hybrid and the design/concept comes to life. The piece is a wearable sculpture. It is "alive" with/out the foot/body. Most of the inspirations are out of the "shoe-world", and give the footwear an extreme transformation. The result is usually humoristic with a unique point of view about footwear. Another aspect of the creation is the realization. All the pieces are hand-made in my studio. The challenging technical development is the key to bring the design to life in the best way."












How coool na?


No comments:

Post a Comment