Monday 16 January 2012

Golden Globes Fashion

So I was really looking forward to the Golden Globes obviously because of the fashion (I don't think I've seen anything that won a Globe yesterday except Modern Family)
Its so much fun to see what the stars wore, how amazing they looked,what you would do differently you know... all that kind of stuff.
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed by this year's turnout. Like seriously. Things could have been better. I don't know what it is.Maybe now there are so many movie premieres, and publicity events that you get used to seeing stars in fabulous clothes all the time, so anything that falls in the 'seen' category ends up falling for me in the 'miss' category because I think its that night where you really up your game  and use all those precious contacts at the world's most renowned fashion houses, and show up wearing a knockout, leave-me-gasping for breath dress.Also this was the Golden Globes. If things are so ho-hum at this awards show, which is supposed to be literally like a party, then what can we expect for Oscar fashion, which is you know the biggest prude out of all the awards show.

Believe it or not my favorite out of everyone was Helen Mirren.Yes, for real.
I never thought the day would come. But it has. Its true. Never say never.
Its not like she's a bad dresser, of course not she's nice -very age appropriate, and actually pretty awesome for her age. But she hardly wears the kind of stuff you'd (I'd) be like, wow I have to wear this you know, or oohmygooood so cool. But today, as I was looking at all the pictures, I came across Helen Mirren and I was like, wow she looks amazing, and the dress is realllly nice.The belt, the silhouette it all adds up pretty wow.The fitted bodice gives a real nice shape, the ruffled skirt obviously adds the fashion element and the long sleeves add that zing , that may have not been there if it was a sleeveless gown. You know? Am so used to seeing strapless,and sleeveless that anything with sleeves immediately categorizes itself in the 'fashion' category.Her dress is a Badgley Mischka.



See the thing is, I expect the stars to look better than ever before type. Like its not possible for them to look any better. Helen Mirren was the only one who accomplished that pretty fully. The rest, left a lot to be desired in terms of looking the best they ever had.
In addition, some of the couture collection from Fall (fall!), and Spring 2012 runway had some really spectacular stuff, I was hoping to see that. I expected at least one McQueen sighting, and one Givenchy Fall 2011 couture sighting- your remember those na? they were spectacular! How does one not rush to wear them given the opportunity? Where else can you wear such concoctions?

Sophia Vergara was one of the tops for me at the Globes. The choice of dress was pretty damn good. See the gown itself is stunning, like J'adore it, J'can't live without it . But at the same time,the look seems a little dated- or I guess its just veryyyy classic. But still, I love the thick ruffles and texturing.Its a bit unsettling, cos while I think everything is quite perfect, I know it could be pushed further to look even better.Maybe a different hairstyle, different makeup look, a choker? It's a Vera Wang.
You know what...I think maybe more cleavage would've done the trick pretty well. Yep. Nailed it.




Even  though Angelina Jolie sticks to pretty classic looks,and rarely ever gives us an insanely fashion forward or even sex-bombish look (anymore), I still looked forward to her Globes gown.And you know what? I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the entire thing. The red accents look magnificent I think. The lip, the panel, the bag they all look great. Of course I know she can take it up a notch, especially if she stops asexualizing her body, but this look did take my breath away momentarily. The gown is Atelier Versace.




I know! Your probably wondering wtf is Buffy the Vampire Slayer doing here? Is she even in showbiz anymore?Well I don't blame you. But I wanted to feature the dress, not the actress, the actress just kinda came along with it. Sarah Michelle Gellar wears Monique Lhuillier. I love the gown, See this is more of what I wanted to see, people experimenting with fashion a little bit. Like yes, I know there is soemthing off about the fit of the gown, but hell, I love the swirly-painting-inkiness on the dress. So mazey ka.




 Zooey Deschanel in Prada. Custom made. Pretty cool, although not sure about matrix inspired color combo, but oh well. I like that its a bit crazy, a bit experimental, a bit fun- that's why its in this list. Having said that I don't know if I would wear it myself to the globes. I'd wear it on other days/occasions- but globes? I dunno.

Lastly there is Lea Michele aka Rachel Berry from Glee. Now see, I think her dress is too nanga and way too 'all-eyes-on me-' but I guess that's what I like about it as well.Still.I just find the actress/ her character in Glee terribly annoying and attention seeking,and so I can see her drama queen personality traits being reflected in this Marchesa gown, because obviously we can see that the dress screams for attention.I loved the entire Marchesa SS 2012 collection, and am glad to see one spectacular gown sighting from the collection, although I wish it hadn't been Rachel Berry.
See this is the kind of  spectacularity I'm talking about. The gown has that star quality. I expected more star quality from Golden Globes fashion.
Just imagine if Angelina Jolie wore this gown , wouldn't we all go crazy? And she would look awesome as well- no two ways about that. And the kind of mystique and elegance Angie exudes on a daily basis, perhaps this dress wouldn't look so Times Square you know?But no, Angie has taken a life-long promise to asexulaise her body- she used to have such a knockout figure, all curves and stuff, abh she's hell bent on convincing us that its only frail bones underneath the clothes.I wish she wore something like this.I understand that she is a humanitarian now with a multicultural brood, so she doesn't want to come across as self-indulgent or vain, but come one...its just a gown.
Yes, I know what your saying...its too attention seeking, Which it is. But you get what I'm trying to say right?

Uff..look at her- she is such an attention seeker.




No comments:

Post a Comment