Friday 28 October 2011

Shoe philosophy

 I'm sure you've heard that saying? "before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes?"
It really knows what he's talking about. It has a lot of moral implications. Thankfully, I'm not going to write about those. I'm just going to concentrate on the 'shoes' part.
Why bring up the quote at all? Because if you subvert the message enough, it conveys the exact same thing that I want to write about. Yes, in the quote's case the 'shoes' are meant to personify much more than just shoes. They represent the notion of living someone else's life, being inside someone else's head. Dealing with their personal dilemmas, challenges and their unique perception. What I want to say is, shoes can play a big part in shaping our own personal dilemmas, challenges and unique perception. You probably have decided by now that I am bullshitting like there is no tomorrow. I am trying to find  links where there aren't. You could be right. Probably are. But, is it me or does wearing different styles of shoes completely change your persona? Not how someone else sees it, but how see yourself? I find it to be astonishingly accurate in my own case.The way I feel in sky high stilettos is completely different to how I feel in sneakers. The change in attitude might not be detectable by others, but I can certainly sense it. And I have a friend who completely agrees. So if two people can feel this way, there are probably others who feel the same way too?.That brings me to the next part of my discussion. Feelings typically shape and influence our actions. Consciously or subconsciously, the way we feel is reflected through our actions.I genuinely believe that on most days, my actions are entirely dependent on the shoes I'm wearing because they strongly influence the way that I'm feeling. For example, the days when I'm wearing my court shoes with the gold heel, I feel very in control, put together and smart with a twist. Since I feel that way in the courties, I kinda act that way too. You could argue that possibly those characteristics could define my personality in my  general-non courties wearing life too. Again-could be true. I'm not claiming that this is the absolute truth. But how do you explain the way I'm feeling today? Today I feel very funksoulbrothercheckitoutnow, because I'm wearing these heavy black army boots.I'm acting that way too. Ask my colleagues, we were just in a meeting. I talked to the client as though we were bros. That ' bro' was a 57 year-old nitpicker. I rarely treat 57-yr olds that way.
Dolce and Gabbana
Which brings my discussion to a startling discovery. If our actions are based on the shoes we wear, and our actions shape our future (to some extent), then our future is sorta, kinda dependent on our shoes?

Does that mean that instead of investing heavily in our future , we should be investing heavily in shoes?

For those of you who think that I have lost it, just think about how you feel in flip-flops, and how they affect your actions.Tell me if you change your mind.

For those of you who think I might be onto something here,Net-A-Porter has a great collection.

Here are some of my picks:
,Miu Miu,
Pierre Hardy
Pucci



YSL
Alexander McQueen

Bally
Philip Lim

Burberry Prosum
Charlotte Olympia
Louboutin

No comments:

Post a Comment