Saturday 29 October 2011

Tasteless Burger King

 This Burger King ad is about two years old, so I know I'm late on this, but to this day I find it hard to believe that they actually ran this. Its pretty crass. I get that their trying to be cheeky, but it just doesn't come out that way since its so blatant. Nothing's left to the imagination. You have to leave something to the imagination to be successfully cheeky,  haina? In addition the copy is not exactly subtle.If there were any doubts in your head about what this ad is referring to, the copy does its part well in quelling them.

Here's what the text reads: Fill your desire for something long, juicy and flame-grilled with the NEW BK SUPER SEVEN INCHER. Yearn for more after you taste the mind-blowing burger that comes with a single beef patty, topped with American cheese, crispy onions and the A1 Thick and Hearty Steak Sauce.

Can you believe it? I can't.

 After seeing this, I think the campaign below that BK did back in 2007 was quiet tastefully done, and showed a lot of restraint.In a good way.They're cheeky, but not in an in-your-face vulgar way. Not rude, not crass. Don't make you look away. Make you smirk a little bit. Catches you off-guard that its BK but you get where they are coming from.And, most importantly,  they don't mess with your food.



Right? so much more subtle in comparison. And I quiet like the grungy, black and white photocopier look.
The agency is Bleublancrouge in Montreal.Although I don't quite get why fast food needs to go down this route- but I get that they're  trying to target a specific audience. And if you've ever gone to a BK past 3am -you know exactly who that audience is, and how weirdly spot on the second ad is.

No comments:

Post a Comment